World History Part One
The final project for this class is a take-home final exam in which you are asked the following question: In your opinion, which civilization contributed the most to the ancient world and to world civilization past and present? This question asks you to assess (1) the importance of the civilization you have chosen in its particular time and place;(2) its influence on the development of other civilizations in the ancient world and (3) the legacy of this civilization to our own world.
The project has two parts: an essay and a primary source document.
I. The essaymust be three-five pages in length and make a persuasive argument for the civilization you have chosen. The essay will discuss the aspects of the civilization that contributed to its greatness such as its ideology/religion, its economy and style of government; the role of women; its building projects, public works and architecture, and its relations with other states; The essay should clearly describe the characteristics of the civilization that made it great, the influence the civilization had on its neighbors and the legacy it left for future generations. You must support the argument in your essay with relevant quotes from the chapter or chapters in the textbook and from the primary source document that is part of the assignment as described in the next paragraph
II. Your essay will be accompanied by a primary source document from the civilization that you have chosen. The primary source document will be obtained from the Ancient History Sourcebook, an on-line archive of primary source documents. You can find the Sourcebook athttp://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/asbook.aspIn your essay, you must explain how the document demonstrates and provides evidence of the greatness of the civilization you have chosen. In your essay, you must provide the following information about the source: the title of the source, the author of the source, the date when the source was written or made, the audience for the source and a discussion in the essay of how the document provides additional evidence of the greatness of the civilization. A copy of the source downloaded from the internet and printed must shown to the professor for approval and must be attached to the essay.
Your essay must be based only on the relevant chapter or chapters in the textbook and the primary source document obtained from the Ancient History Sourcebook. No other sources can be used in writing the essay. Using a source or sources other than the textbook and the Ancient History Sourcebook without attribution constitutes plagiarism and will result in an automatic F for the assignment. Using a source other than the textbook or the Ancient History Sourcebook with the relevant citations will result in an automatic D for the assignment.In other words, if a student aspires to a grade of C or better, s/he must follow all the guidelines and must use only the textbook and the Ancient History Sourcebook in the writing of their essay.
The essay must include a bibliography in the proper Chicago Manual of Style format that includes the page numbers of the textbook that you used to write your essay. Direct quotes from the textbook must be cited with the page numbers. For the correct format for citing direct quotes, see the Style Guidelines below. The essay is due in class on May 8. Thereare no exceptions to this deadline unless the student requests an extension from the professor and it is granted. Otherwise a late paper will be graded down a half-grade for every day that it is late.
1. The paper must be typed on a computer with one-inch margins and double-spacing between lines, not between paragraphs.
2. The project must include a cover page with your name, the title and section of the course, the name of the professor and the date. If you choose to give your project a title, the title should come before your name. Staple all the pages together or use a paper clip.
3. Each page of the essay should be numbered, preferably at the bottom center of the page.
4. All words quoted directly from the textbook must be enclosed in quotation marks and have a citation that includes the page number(s). For this project, the citation comes at the end of the quote with the page numbers in parentheses like this “….” (24-26).
5. The last page of the essay is the Bibliography that should contain one entry for the textbook and one entry for the Primary Source Document for a total of two entires. The page should have Bibliography at the center of the page with the titles and publication information flush with the left-hand margin. Here is an example: