1. The concept that some leadership attributes will work in some situations but not in others can be described by the
leadership effectiveness theory
2. Sam Meyers manages a telemarketing call center. He has 20 employees working for him who are displeased with the way he yells and threatens to terminate them for what they see as small issues. Which kind of power is Sam using to get the job done?
3. Which of the following is considered an organizational blueprint, which prescribes the quantity and time frame for when each end product will be assembled?
WBS (Work Breakdown Structure)
ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning)
MRP (Material Requirements Plan)
MPS (Master Production Schedule)
4. In performing a SWOT analysis, which of the following would be considered as a threat?
Lack of a strategic plan
Increased product demand
5. During the implementation of a project, which of the following should be the primary focus of a consulting firm?
The correct project software
Application of the learning curve theory
Tools and materials availability
People management skills
6.Which of the following is considered a major process flow structure?
7. Some studies indicate the best approach for transformational change may have the chief executive officer create an atmosphere for change
and begin establishing a vision
and establish a reward system
but let others decide how to initiate change
but carefully set limits for the program
8. Deming’s PDCA (plan, do, check, and act) cycle underlies what inherent Six Sigma principle?
9. What can affirmative action assist organizations in achieving that diversity initiatives cannot?
Correcting specific problems of the past
Maximizing workforce commitment
10. According to the job characteristics model, autonomy is defined as the degree to which
a job generates direct and clear information about performance
a job provides the worker freedom, independence, and discretion
a job has an impact on the lives or work of other people
a job requires completion of a whole and identifiable piece of work
11. Active listening requires:
interruptions to get your point across
summarizing all areas of the performance-interview feedback discussion.
summarizing only the areas of agreement
verbal communications only
12. An example of control criteria that can be used in any situation is ________.
number of calls taken per day
client requests completed per hour
average time to process paperwork
13. Because practical considerations make job tryouts for all candidates infeasible, it is necessary to __________ the relative level of job performance for each candidate on the basis of available information.
14. Which of the following is ISO 14000 primarily concerned with?
Continuous improvement management
15. Which of the following is a desirablestrategy for managers aiming to reduce the negative consequences of rumors?
Creating a more informal communication environment at the workplace
Initiating disciplinary action against the employee who started the rumor
Encouraging employees to communicate their concerns and suggestions
Refusing to comment on issues that appear to be controversial and unfair
16. ________ refers to an individual’s belief that he or she is capable of performing a task.
17. When an employee volunteers to run a canned food drive, this is an example of
organizational citizenship behavior
18. As a university student, your institution’s social principles and practices reflect on you, as a stakeholder, in the organization. Therefore, it is your right to question how these practices should be evaluated in relation to the social issues that the school is addressing. If your university provides job-share programs, builds a day-care facility, and only uses recycled paper, it could be said to be ________.
socially image conscious
fulfilling its social obligation
19. A project can be segmented into which of the following?
20. In order to make their firm a learning organization, managers should
increase the degree of departmentalization
reinforce interdependence and reduce boundaries
avoid the use of cross-functional teams
21. Conflicts can be resolved by withdrawing from them or suppressing them. This conflict-management technique is known as ________.
22. Adoration of a charismatic leader by followers can lead to
limiting suggestions of fixes and improvements
a competitive work environment
greater understanding of the company mission
difficulty in developing a successor
23. Which of the following statements is true with regard to the effectiveness of tactics?
All tactics are equally effective with regard to upward influence.
Individuals from collectivist cultures are typically more likely to use soft tactics that reflect personal power.
The combination of a soft tactic with reasonable persuasion is more effective than a combination of two hard tactics.
Soft tactics are less effective than hard tactics when used individually
24. ____________ is the biggest hurdle to overcome in a pay-for-performance plan.
Salary cap performance level
25. Mary arrives at her new job. Before she can begin actually doing the work, she must complete a series of activities including role playing and virtual reality interactions. What type of training methoddoes Mary’s new employer use?
26. In _____, workers have been fired for refusing to quit smoking, for living with someone without being married, drinking a competitor’s product, motorcycling, and other legal activities outside of work.
invasion of privacy
27. Which of the following is one of Dr. Eli Goldratt's rules of production scheduling for optimized production technology?
If you lose an hour at a bottleneck it is better than making scrap.
Do not allow bottlenecks to govern the flow of the line.
Utilization and activation of a resource are not the same.
An hour saved at a bottleneck operation does not increase the process flow.
28. The Civil Rights Act of 1991 offered what for victims of unintentional discrimination?
monetary damages and jury trials
29. Which of the following is an element that addresses elimination of waste under lean production?
Minimized run times
Production ahead of demand
Group plant loading technology
Kanban production control system
30. Training that results in ______ is costly because of the cost of training (which proved to be useless) and the cost of hampered performance.
reinforcement of training
simulation of training
applicability of training
negative transfer of training