Individual Assignment: Media and Race
· Resources: Racial and Ethnic Relations and Racial and Ethnic Groups
· Select a movie, television show, commercial, or other form of media that includes racial or ethnic issues. The following websites contain media you can use. You may also select a piece of media not found in these collections.
o The Prelinger Archives located at http://www.archive.org/details/prelinger, which houses television ads and shows from the 1940s and 1950s
o Movie archives located at http://www.archive.org/details/movies
· Write a 500- to 750- word analysis where you identify how your selected media example addresses gender and stereotypes.
· Explain how stereotypes are portrayed in the media and your response to these stereotypes.
· Answer the following questions:
o What time period was your media made in? What time period is it about?
o Was one character portrayed as a victim? Was this character playing a stereotypical role?
o What roles, major or minor, were racial or ethnic minorities assigned?
o What issues of race and ethnicity are addressed?
o For older media pieces, how would the racial issues you identified be addressed today?