- Go to the U.S. Government Standard General Ledger Chart of Accounts Website at http://www.fms.treas.gov/ussgl/tfm_archive/april-2000-s2-00-01/coa2001.pdf
- Explore the budget simulation game located athttp://www.nathannewman.org/nbs/whytax.shtml.
- Navigate to the right and choose the “Short Version 2006” then make at least three reductions and three increases to the different budget categories. Leave the other budget items on “hold even.” View the results. Be prepared to discuss.
- Go to the U.S. Printing Office Website to examine the Budget of the United States Government for Fiscal Year 2013,” located athttp://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/browse/collection.action?collectionCode=BUDGET&browsePath=Fiscal+Year+2013&searchPath=Fiscal+Year+2013&leafLevelBrowse=false&isCollapsed=false&isOpen=true&packageid=BUDGET-2013-BUD&ycord=553.
- Review the following documents: (1) “The Budget Message of the President” and (2) “Cutting Waste, Reducing the Deficit, and Asking All to Pay Their Fair Share.” Then, review at least three budgets of departments from this list: (a) “Department of Agriculture,” (b) “Department of Commerce,” (c) “Department of Defense,” (d) “ Department of Education,” (e) “Department of Health and Human Services,” (f) “Department of Homeland Security,” or (g) Social Security Administration.” Be prepared to discuss.
Using the websites above answer the questions below in at least one paragraph.
- From the first e-Activity, discuss at least two challenges in working with the Chart of Accounts. Explain why they are challenges.
- From the second e-Activity with the budget simulation game, identify and explain your choices for reductions and increases. Discuss at least two lessons you learned about the challenge of balancing the federal budget
- Based on the third e-Activity that focuses on the Budget of the United States Government for Fiscal Year 2012, analyze the president’s messages and the three budgets you selected. Discuss four governmental expenditures that you believe will have a significant impact on the national economy for the proposed budget year. Justify your response.
- Recommend at least two best practices for and two challenges of data organization discussed in Appendix B. Support your response with examples
References must be sited.