Psychology week- 4
Purpose: To provide you with an opportunity to experience a group setting and analyze how the presence of others substantially influences the behaviors of its members through social facilitation.
Process: You will participate as a guest at an interest group meeting in your community to gather data for a qualitative research paper. Once you have located an interest group, contact stakeholders and explain the purpose of your inquiry. After you receive permission to participate, you will schedule a date to attend the meeting; at which time you will observe the members and document the following for your analysis:
· How were the people arranged in the physical environment (layout of room and seating arrangement)?
· What is the composition of the group, in terms of number of people, ages, sex, ethnicity, etc.?
· What are the group purpose, mission, and goals?
· What is the duration of the group (short, long-term)? Explain.
· Did the group structure its discussion around an agenda, program, rules of order, etc.?
· Describe the structure of the group. How is the group organized?
· Who are the primary facilitators of the group?
· What subject or issues did the group members examine during the meeting?
· What types of information did members exchange in their group?
· What were the group's norms, roles, status hierarchy, or communication patterns?
· What communication patterns illustrated if the group was unified or fragmented? Explain.
· Did the members share a sense of identity with one another (characteristics of the group-similarities, interests, philosophy, etc.)?
· Was there any indication that members might be vulnerable to Groupthink? Why or why not?
· In your opinion, how did the collective group behaviors influence individual attitudes and the group's effectiveness? Provide your overall analysis.
I hope you will be satisfied wi