1) Public Sector Pensions and Benefits" Please respond to the following:
• Review the author’s statement in Chapter 13: “New-generation human resource managers must add to their work portfolios how to help employees make appropriate decisions about participation, contribution, and even investment in their benefit packages so that they better enable themselves when they retire to maintain the standard of living they had when they were working.” Analyze your own retirement pension and benefits package, (or absence of a company-provided package) and offer three pieces of advice to Generation X-ers and Generation Y-ers regarding their retirement.
• Discuss at least two pros and two cons of allowing public employees to bargain collectively with their agencies about their retirement benefits (OPEB). (Refer to Table 13.4 Benefits Reform Dimensions in Chapter 13.)
2) Managing Human Resources to Improve Organizational Productivity" Please respond to the following:
• Debate It: According to the Office of Personnel Management, federal regulations provide for four forms of awards that can be given to federal employees: lump-sum cash awards, honorary awards, informal recognition awards, and time-off awards. Take a position on which award is favorable to current (a) Baby Boomers already employed in public service, (b) Baby Boomers returning to public service after retirement, (c) Generation X-ers, and (d) Generation Y-ers. Provide a rationale for your views.
• Debate It: Take a position for or against this statement: A performance appraisal with no monetary component can be effective. Provide a rationale for your views.
NOTE: THREE ANSWERS POSTED AS A BONUS CHOOSE ONE