The Goal - Write Up
Assignment 3: Goal Write-up
Due Week 7, Day 7 (Weight: 17.5%)
A number of years have passed since the writing of The Goal. Since then, developments in both technology and operations-management theory have changed the toolset that is available to a plant manager like Alex Rogo (e.g., lean, six sigma, the internet, etc.).
Write a 3-5 page paper in which you do the following:
1. Discuss how the availability of newer tools might have affected the choices and priorities on which Alex focused.
2. Determine if Alex’s goal would have been the same in light of these new tools.
3. Discuss what Alex would bring to the challenges he faced that are absent in the Goldratt & Cox text.
4. Determine where he might have applied new ideas and/or what ideas he might have discarded.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
• Be typed and double-spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12) with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
• Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
The following are specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment:
Identify operational strategies and the importance of plant ownership.
• Use technology and information resources to research issues in operations management.
• Write clearly and concisely about operations management using proper writing mechanics.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic/organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following grading criteria.