MGT 521 Week Four Business Analysis Part I
1.1 Conduct benchmarking analyses.
1.2 Explain the basic tenets of managerial accounting and financial accounting.
1.3 Identify the effects of technology utilization on business.
1.4 Identify the effects of globalization on business.
Ch. 3 of Understanding Business.
Readings Read Ch. 17 of Understanding Business.
Readings Read Ch. 18 of Understanding Business.
Readings Read Bonus Ch. B of Understanding Business.
Readings Read “Benchmarking and Core Competencies” to “Restructuring for Empowerment” in
Ch. 8 of Understanding Business.
Reading Read this week’s Electronic Reserve Readings.
Participation Participate in class discussion.
Nongraded Activities and Preparation Listen to the Week Four podcast.
Nongraded Activities and PreparationLearning Activities
• Finance Tutorial: Evaluating A Firm
Financial statements can be used as tools for evaluating a firm’s financial performance. Complete the Finance tutorial located on the student website to gather some tips about how to evaluate a firms’ performance.
· Select Chapter 3: Evaluating a Firm’s Financial Performance.
· Select the tab on the left titled Lecture Notes. Read through the lecture notes.
· Complete the “Try It Now” exercises along the way. After completing the tutorial, brainstorm a list of strategies you can use for evaluating a firm’s financial performance.
• Business Line of Credit:
Businesses must seek options to obtain short-term or long-term financing.
· Visit a local bank or research a bank’s website to identify the types of financing available to businesses.
· Describe the types of financing available for small and large businesses.
• Video Case: "Walt Disney Imagineering" (p. 87 in Understanding Business)
Companies can benefit from entering the global market. Before entering the global market companies must make some critical decisions, such as where, when, and how they will enter the global market.
· Watch the video case: "Walt Disney Imagineering" located on the student website to see the decisions one company had to make when it entered into the global market.
· Describe the challenges the company faced entering the global market.
· Explain the decisions the company made.
Learning Team Weekly Reflection Resources: Ch. 1 of Understanding Business and Video Case: “iContact: Blazing the Trail for Email Marketing” (p. 26 of Understanding Business) located on the student websiteWatch the Video Case “iContact: Blazing the Trail for Email Marketing” `Discuss with your team the case and the Thinking It Over Questions located at the end of Ch. 1 of Understanding Business.Prepare a 350- to 1,050-word paper detailing the findings of your discussion, and the answers to the Thinking It Over Questions.IndividualBusiness Analysis Part I Write a paper no more than 2,200 words in which you assume the role of a mutual fund manager deciding whether to invest in a specific company. You will conduct a business analysis in the remaining weeks based on the company you select. Select a Fortune 500 company.Conduct a SWOT analysis for the organization you selected. Based on the information you have gained from this analysis which parts of the SWOT analysis are most relevant to your decision of whether or not to invest in this company?Identify the company’s internal and external stakeholders.Describe their wants and needs.Explain how the company is fulfilling those needs. If the company is not fulfilling those explain why the stakeholders’ needs are not being met and what the company needs to do to ensure they are.Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines.