For this task, you will participate in a simulation with your classmates in which you are in charge of a sensor manufacturing company. You will join a few of your classmates in an executive management team to take over a struggling business. You will simulate the running of the business for the next 8 years
and make decisions about research and development, marketing, production, human resources, and finance. You will be competing against other computer-generated companies to see who can best manage the company to help it grow and get back on track. An important part of all teamwork is helping your team to be the best by leading not only those below you, but also your coworkers and those above you in the organization. Throughout your career you will be asked to fill out many different types of colleague feedback surveys. At the end of the simulation you will be asked to fill out a peer evaluation. You are expected to fill out evaluations for all members of your team, as they are expected to fill out
evaluations for you. You will have access to an average of the other team members’ evaluations of your performance.
A. Submit the peer evaluation report for the evaluations you received from your
B. Evaluate your personal and team performance in the simulation based on the peer
evaluation report by doing the following:
1. Discuss how one of your strengths can be utilized in the workplace.
2. Discuss how you can improve upon one of your weaknesses in the workplace.
3. Discuss your role on the team.
4. Discuss the strengths of your team as a whole.
5. Discuss the weaknesses of your team as a whole.
6. Explain how you interacted with your team.
7. Explain how you overcame challenges you faced as a team.
8. Discuss what teamwork advice you would give to others who were beginning to work on the
9. Discuss the relevance of teamwork in the simulation to the context of your professional
Task 2 capstone
completing the business simulation at a competent level, you will work as a
team to create a debrief presentation for stockholders and the board of
directors for review. Your presentation should justify your team’s decisions
throughout the simulation. Your presentation will also evaluate the current
state of the business for team members’ respective roles or functional areas.
Members of the team will be responsible for creating the slides for the area(s)
they were in charge of during the simulation. You will only be evaluated on the
portion of the presentation for which you were responsible.
Do not include confidential information about yourself and others in your
presentation, such as personal details and contact information, nor the
identity and location of co-workers, organizations, and their contact
information. This refers to text, graphics, photographs, tables, and figures.
A. Create a
multimedia presentation (e.g., PowerPoint, Keynote) for the board of directors
and stockholders in which you do the following:
Note: The slides in
your presentation should include only the main points you wish to make, with
more extensive information included in the presenter notes section of the
1. Describe the impact the company strategy had on your functional area in the simulation.
2. Reflect on the decisions that were made in the simulation by doing the following:
Note: Your reflection may include graphs and other data.
a. Discuss decisions that you would change.
b. Discuss decisions that had a positive impact.
3. Present your strategic outlook for your functional area in the simulation.
a. Recommend future decisions for your functional area in the simulation.
B. Submit the attached “Assignment Designation Form.”
C. Discuss the overall performance of the business compared to competitors using the financial reports from the simulation by doing the following:
Note: The financial reports should be included as supplementary documentation but will not be
1. Analyze the following financial statistics:
• Return on sales (ROS)
• Return on assets (ROA)
• Return on equity (ROE)
2. Analyze the financial standing of the company based on the following data:
• Cash flow statement
– Current ratio
• Balance sheet
• Income statements
3. Analyze the company’s stock price based on the following data:
• Ending stock price
• Earnings per share
Band rating (if applicable).
For this task, you will apply the lessons you learned in the simulations and other assessments you have worked on throughout your MBA training.
Find a problem or business need at your current place of employment, a local business, a non-profit, or any operating organization (e.g., government, school district, hospital, online businesses). The problem or business need should be large enough to incorporate as many aspects of the simulations and lessons learned from other assessments as possible (e.g., research and development [R&D], eBusiness, production, marketplace, leadership, marketing, accounting, finance, human resources and organizational design, ethics, risk management).
You will be required to work closely with someone in the organization to identify an appropriate topic that will be of value. This person will become your client. You will work closely with your client by meeting on a regular basis as you develop a long-term solution that meets the client’s needs.
You should plan on having an initial interview (virtually, on the phone, or in person) in which you can discuss the problem or business need and come up with a problem statement that describes your goal. Your problem statement must be approved by a member of the MBA Capstone team. You will then meet with your client as needed to clarify and guide your research. You should also plan on a final meeting to present your findings and recommendations.
Note: Any information that would be considered confidential, proprietary, or personal in nature should not be included in the actual task submission to WGU. Do not include the actual names of people, suppliers, the company, or other identifiable information. Fictional names should be used. Also, company-specific data, including financial information, should not be included but should be addressed in a general fashion as appropriate.
A. Develop a written recommendation for your client that holistically addresses the problem or business need by doing the following:
1. Explain the problem or business need that your recommendation will seek to solve.
2. Analyze three different functional areas (e.g., leadership, human resources, eBusiness, marketing, economics) that might be contributing to the issue.
a. Recommend a solution that includes the three functional areas.
b. Recommend implementation resources for your recommended solution.
i. Create a timeline for the solution implementation.
c. Analyze the long-term financial and organizational impact of the recommendation.
B. Provide a log of time spent with the client.
Note: This log should be a table log of each meeting with your client and include a brief description of what occurred in each meeting.
C. Create a final report for your manager reflecting on the experience working with the client, the simulations, and the other assessments you have worked through in the MBA program by doing the following:
1. Discuss five lessons learned from the simulations and other assessments that helped you resolve your client’s problem.
2. Develop three SMART long-term professional goals.
3. Reflect on how the lessons you learned during your MBA training at WGU support your professional goals