The course project is related to the compensation and benefit strategy of an organization. Students will select an organization that is experiencing challenges with its compensation and/or benefit program. Such challenges could include high rate of employee turnover, inability to recruit talented employees because of the lack of proper compensation, inability to fund an adequate benefit program, an incentive program where few employees reach their objectives, or a retirement system that is not funded adequately or does not offer proper investment choices. These are some examples where challenges exist within the organization's compensation and benefit plan. Your paper will be graded according to how well you meet the following tasks:
- Follow proper APA style/citations, grammar and punctuation, etc. An APA tutorial located on the HUB for assistance.
- Identify organization to research. It could be an organization you are familiar with either personally or through the newspapers, magazines, or other book/internet sources.
- Detail the compensation and/or benefit challenge at the organization. It is recommended that you concentrate on the principle compensation and/or benefit challenge within a single organization, rather than a number of less important issues. Be careful to avoid selecting a topic that is too broad. At the same time, the challenge facing the organization should be broad enough to provide for multiple strategies to help solve the problem.
- Discuss the compensation and/or benefits strategies other organizations have utilized related to your challenge, along with a review of their success and failure. As an example, if you are interested in an Employee Assistance Program and why usage is less than expected, detail the strategies other organizations have followed to improve participation and see a return on their investment. Information regarding other organizations should be gathered through a research process and consist of academic quality materials rather than word of mouth information.
- Recommend the strategy you propose the organization should follow to address its compensation and/or benefit challenge. Explain why you have selected this strategy.
- Discuss any impediments to this strategy, including any contingency plans that should be considered.
- Finally, specifically detail how the strategy you propose would address the organization's challenge (as detailed in #2 above) and its impact on both the organization and the employee. Include specific items that should be included in the action plan.
Week 2: Write a one-page (250 to 300 words) overview about the company and the detailed compensation and/or benefit issue you selected for your Course Project (50 points). This refers to the #2 and #3 items listed under "Course Project Overview" above. See Syllabus/"Due Dates for Assignments & Exams" for due date information.
Week 7: Course Project due (1,200 to 1,800 words exclusive of bibliography), including items 1-7 above (200 points). See Syllabus/"Due Dates for Assignments & Exams" for due date information.