The Applied Project provides the opportunity for an applied implementation document reflecting the three major economic constructs: descriptive, explanatory and evaluative. Applied Project Learning Outcomes
1. Utilize research protocols in defining, researching, analyzing and synthesizing appropriate scholarly research within the topic/issue selected.
2. Demonstrate critical thinking skills as evidenced in the analysis of health care economic literature.
3. Demonstrate grammatically appropriate writing skills as evidenced in the quality of the written report and The American Psychological Association Style (APA) Format used in the paper.
4. Utilize economic quantitative information in supporting the economic perspective.
5. Apply economic constructs: descriptive, explanatory and evaluative in the development of the Project.
6. Evaluate economic outcomes as evidenced in the Project recommendations.
7. Discuss social-cultural-ethnic perspectives as they relate to the economic topic/issue
You are working for a prominent consulting firm. The firm has received a contract to provide an economic evaluation of a health care topic/issue designated by a contractor. Your role is to provide the economic analysis of the health care issue/topic.
Select one of the following topic/issues for the Project. Analyze the topic using one of the ten themes that provide the basis of economic theory. The themes are: (1) Scarcity and Choice; (2) Opportunity; (3) Marginal Analysis; (4) Self-interest; (5) Markets and Pricing; (6) Supply and Demand; (7) Competition; (8) Efficiency; (9) Market Failure and (10) Comparative Advantage or you may wish to analyze the topic/issue using one of the economic models discussed in the Text. For example: Demand, Supply, Competitive, Economizing and Utility.
Topics/issues for the Applied Project
1. Health Savings Accounts
2. Single Payer Universal Health Care-with government as the fiscal intermediary
3. Single Payer Universal Health Care with private entities as the fiscal intermediary
4. Expansion of the employer based system
5. Bio-technology – what are "fair charges?”
6. Politics of Health Care Legislation
7. Legal System and Cost of Health Care
10. Social Security Amendments such as Title V; Title XXI
Note: if there is a topic that you have a very real desire to research, contact the instructor.
1. Preparation: Describe the selected topic/issue. The approach to the topic/issue may be using one of the economic models from the Text: Demand, Supply, Competitive, Utility and Economizing, from an eclectic economic evaluative process or from the perspective of one of the economic themes presented previously in this Performance Guide.
2. The Research:
1. Ten references are required for this paper. All references must be scholarly articles from professional, organizational sources or electronic sources using reference banks such as ProQuest.
2. Definition of “scholarly journal” – A scholarly journal, for the purposes of the course, is a journal that is research based. It may be a publication of a professional association; it may be a journal such Health Economics, Journal of Political Economy, Health Policy, etc.; and is authored. The majority of research articles are primary sources. That is, they are based upon the observations and experience of the author. Most articles from the World-Wide Web – blogs, secular websites, etc. – do not meet the criteria of scholarly research. Some professional journals and professional websites can be reached through the internet, for example: American Hospital Association, American College of Health Care Providers, etc. Secular magazines and newspapers are secondary sources. Overall, books are secondary sources. However, they may be primary sources. An example would be an author who has written a book discussing his/her research. Remember, the quality of the Applied Project will be a reflection of the quality of the reference material and application of it.
3. An Executive Summary is required for the paper. The Executive Summary will be placed in front of body of the Applied Project Paper.
4. The written body of the Applied Project will consist of:
1. Executive Summary
3. Discussion of the topic/issue using the following guidelines.
1. Describe the topic/issue and the model or approach to be applied. Utilize quantitative data to support the discussion perspective
2. Analyze/explore the topic using the selected model or economic theme. Utilize quantitative data to support the perspective.
3. Explore the economic forces impacting both positive and negatively the topic/issue. Utilize quantitative data to support the perspective.
4. Evaluate the topic/issue from an economic perspective. Utilize quantitative data points to support the perspective.
5. Discuss assumptions, limitations and recommendations from which the contractor could act.
1. Paper must be 10-12 pages in length excluding title page and reference page.
2. Use APA format for your paper.
3. Extended tables, graphs, and other displays that are lengthy and will take a lot of space in the paper are placed in a numbered appendix and referenced in the content of the paper.
HSA plan must include a yearly deductible of $1,000-$5,000 for individuals or $2,000-$10,000 for families. Eligible people or the employers may contribute to the account up to the value of the deductible