Arguments and Morality
· Determine the impact of moral principles on an argument.
· Read Ch. 12 of Critical Thinking.
· Review Ch. 12 Web Site Resources Tutorial at http://corptrain.phoenix.edu/axia/crt205V11/website_resources_tutorial.htm
· Review the Chapter Overview, Frequently Asked Questions, Tips on Applications, Help with Exercises, and PowerPoint Presentations sections of the McGraw-Hill companion Web site for Ch. 12 at http://www.mhhe.com/criticalthinking8.
2. Exercise: Review Quizzes (Ch. 12)
· Resource:Review Quiz Tutorial at
· Complete the following Review Quiz at http://www.mhhe.com/criticalthinking8.
· Copy and paste your quiz results into a new post.
o Ch. 12: Moral Reasoning Quiz I
3. Discussion Questions
· Describe a time when your moral values influenced the way you responded to an issue. What differences did you notice between your logical reasoning process and your moral reasoning process? What were the possible consequences or outcomes of your decision?
· View the CNN Pipeline news clip “Terri Schiavo’s Parents” located on the Materials tab of your student Web site for Week Eight. State your stance on the Terri Schiavo case, and identify the moral value judgment that influenced you to choose your stance.
An example of a stance is, “Terri Schiavo should have been allowed to live, despite her persistent vegetative state.” An example of a moral value judgment is, “No person’s death should be decided by another—people should die naturally.” An example of moral relativism could be that American culture accepts many religious standpoints, making it difficult for its citizens to agree on the religious morality of the issue brought to light by Terri Schiavo and her family.
Moore and Parker (2007) define utilitarianism as the belief that “…if an individual can feel pleasure and pain, then he or she deserves moral consideration” (p. 425). Consider that many proponents of both sides of the Shiavo case thought they had Terri’s best interests in mind—a moral consideration.
State your stance on the Terri Schiavo case, and identify the moral value judgment that influenced you to choose your stance. Discuss with your classmates how moral relativism and utilitarianism apply to this issue.
CRT 205 WEEK