1. IT personnel use _____ to produce _____.
A. IT components, IT services
B. Computer-based information systems, IT architecture
C. IT infrastructure, IT architecture
D. IT infrastructure, IT platform
2. Amazon is using its IT infrastructure to deliver a variety of services for all of the following reasons except:
A. because the company only uses 10 percent of its processing capacity at any one time
B. to stabilize profits and revenue
C. to compete with Google
D. to help start-up companies with their IT needs
3. Which of the following statements about information systems is not correct?
A. Information systems are concentrated in the IS Department.
B. Information systems tend to follow the structure of the organization.
C. Information systems are based on the needs of employees.
D. Any information system can be strategic.
E. Managing information systems is difficult.
4. The Internet has had which of the following impacts on the way you purchase your textbooks?
A. The Internet gives you fewer choices.
B. The Internet increases your bargaining power.
C. The Internet provides you with less information.
D. The Internet decreases your bargaining power.
E. The Internet increases your switching costs.
5. Which of the following is a traditional, major IS function?
A. Managing systems development
B. Partnering with the firm s executives
C. Managing outsourcing
D. Educating non-IS managers about IT
E. Incorporating the Internet and electronic commerce into the business
6. Which of the following is not an overall trend in software?
A. Increased complexity
B. Increased cost
C. Increased number of errors
D. Increased amount of mainframe software written by users
E. Increasingly large percentage of information systems costs
7. Which of the following is not a characteristic of today s typical software?
B. Full of errors
C. Poorly designed
E. An art as well as a science
8. Which of the following is not an advantage of open-source software?
A. Produces high quality code
B. Produces code that can be changed to meet the needs of the users
C. Bugs are discovered quickly
D. Support available only through online communities of core developers
E. Produces reliable code
9. A(n) _____ is a network designed to serve the internal informational needs of a single organization.
A. global network
E. World Wide Web
10. Applications offered by the Internet include which of the following?
A. remote diagnosis
B. digital libraries
C. distance education
D. virtual laboratories
E. all of the above
11. The _____ is a global wide-area network that connects approximately one million organizational computer networks.
A. global network
E. World Wide Web
12. The ______________________ holds that the timing of the user of specialized knowledge can create a differentiation advantage as long as the knowledge remains unique.
A. stakeholder s model
B. shareholder value model
C. customer relationship model
D. stockholder share model
E. unlimited resources model
13. The business diamond is useful for designing new organizations and diagnosing organizational troubles. Which component of the business diamond would include payroll, accounting, and inventory?
A. Business Processes
B. Values and Beliefs
C. Tasks and Structures
D. Business Levers
E. Management Systems
14. General managers should take an active role in decisions about information systems. This is vital because of which one of the following reasons?
A. IS cannot be trusted to make good decisions.
B. IS staff has not been trained to make general business decisions.
C. IS personnel do not have the companies best interests as their focus
D. IS systems are designed to support business decisions.
E. IS systems are normally incongruent with business goals.
15. It is very difficult to manage data for which of the following reasons?
A. amount of data stays about the same over time
B. data are scattered throughout organizations
C. decreasing amount of external data needs to be considered
D. data security is easy to maintain
E. data are stored in the same format throughout organizations
16. You have moved to a different apartment, but your electricity bill continues to go to your old address. The Post Office in your town has a problem with its data management, which is:
A. Data redundancy
B. Data inconsistency
C. Data isolation
D. Data security
E. Data dependence
17. The data in a data warehouse have which of the following characteristics?
A. are organized by subject
B. are coded in different formats
C. are updated in real time
D. are typically retained for a defined, but limited, period of time
E. are organized in a hierarchical structure
18. Electronic commerce provides opportunities to do all of the following except:
A. For companies to expand their reach
B. For companies to expand at relatively high cost
C. For companies to put rich information on their Web sites
D. For companies to increase market share
E. For companies to adopt new business models
19. The advantages of B2C for consumers include all of the following except:
A. You can buy from home 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
B. You have a wider variety of products to choose from.
C. You typically cannot access additional information, so you do not have information overload.
D. You can easily compare prices and features.
E. You can find unique items.
20. In the _____ B2B application, the orders of many buyers are aggregated so that they total to a large volume, in order to merit more seller attention.
D. group purchasing
E. electronic exchange
21. This asks the questions, "What tasks will be performed? How will the work be performed?, Who will do the work?, and Where will the work be performed"?
A. Job design framework
B. Job description analysis
C. Custom system framework
D. Work entry point
E. Job analysis system
22. This technology has enabled changes in many jobs. For example financial analysts can download reports from a corporate web site in minutes.
A. email system
23. Technology has significantly changed the way work is done and how managers interact with employees. One technological solution helps to solve the problem of lack of direct supervision by permitting managers to monitor employees based on ________________________ compensation strategies.
A. valued added work
B. pay for performance
C. team work
D. work performance
E. piece work performance
24. Enterprise resource planning systems are very _____ software products, meaning that companies typically have to change their _____ to accommodate how the software functions.
A. unstructured, business processes
B. structured, reporting relationships
C. structured, accounting processes
D. unstructured, inventory control
E. structured, processes` business
25. If you buy a science fiction book from Amazon.com, the company s software will automatically recommend similar books bought by other readers. This is an example of:
C. one-to-one marketing
D. viral marketing
E. permission marketing
26. Supply chain complexity and scale:
A. Affect both very small companies and large, global organizations
B. Were difficult to address before the Internet
C. Result when firms product complex products and services
D. Result when firms implement full-scale, supply chain management systems
E. Result when companies implement extranets and EDI
27. Which era of information resources focused primarily on effectiveness such solving problems and creating opportunities?
28.This is defined as the available data, technology, people, and processes within an organization?
A. Information Management
B. Information Technology
C. Information Systems
D. Information Resources
E. Information Networks
29. Which one of the following would NOT be considered an information resource that is available to a firm?
A. Information and knowledge
B. Proprietary technology
C. End users of IS
D. Business processes
E. Customer interaction
30. In this business structure a common view of a firm is as a hierarchy organized around a set of functions. Each group has a core competency that it concentrates upon.
B. Business reengineering approach
D. Process Control
E. Business process
31. These are comprehensive software packages that incorporate all modules needed to run the operations of a business. They should include the following modules: Manufacturing, Accounting, Human resources and Sales.
A. BRP systems
B. Groupware system
C. ERP systems
D. TQM systems
E. BBB systems
32. By 1998, approximately _____% of companies with annual revenues greater than $1 billion has installed ERP systems.
33. Decisions today are becoming _____ complex, due to _____ uncertainty in the decision environment.
A. less, decreased
B. more, decreased
C. less, increased
D. more, increased
E. about the same, decreased
34. _____ provides users with a view of what is happening, where _____ addresses why it is happening. A. Multidimensional data analysis, structured query language
B. Data mining, multidimensional data analysis
C. Data mining, expert system
D. Multidimensional data analysis, neural networks
E. Multidimensional data analysis, data mining
35. Which of the following are not provided by digital dashboards?
A. Drill down
B. Transaction processing
C. Status access
D. Key performance indicators
E. Exception reporting
36. The information systems planning process proceeds in which order?
A. Organization mission organization strategic plan IS strategic plan new IT architecture
B. Organization mission IS strategic plan organization strategic plan IS operational plan
C. Organization strategic plan organization mission IS strategic plan new IT architecture
D. IT architecture IS strategic plan organization strategic plan organization mission
E. IS development projects IS operational plan new IT architecture organization mission
37. The _____ that changes are made in the systems development life cycle, the _____ expensive these changes become.
A. sooner, less
B. later, less
C. more frequently, more
D. more extensively, more
E. sooner, more
38. Any systems acquisition effort is mainly driven by
A. organizational change
B. feasibility studies
C. data needs
D. user information requirements
E. corporate strategy
39. This counts the actual activities that go into making a specific product or delivering a specific service. A. Total Activity Costing
B. Focused Based Costing
C. Activity Based Costing
D. Unit Based Costing
E. Activity Induced Costing
40. This financial calculation provides a percentage rate that measures the relationship between the amount the business gets back from an investment and the amount invested.
41. Managers want to analyze the costs of informal support of their IT infrastructure for two reasons: the costs and the ____________________________.
A. time to fix a problem
B. effect the support activity has on morale
C. quantity of informal support activity
D. the quality of the informal support activity
E. relative need across the company
42. What is _____ is not necessarily _____.
A. Illegal, unethical
B. Ethical, illegal
C. Unethical, illegal
D. Unethical, legal
E. Ethical, legal
43. Which of the following statements is correct?
A. An individual s right to privacy is absolute.
B. It is difficult to determine and enforce privacy regulations.
C. An individual s right to privacy supersedes the needs of society.
D. Advances in information technologies have not affected individual privacy.
E. The Internet has increased individuals privacy.
44. Your company s computers have been taken over by an attacker and used to attack other organization s information systems. Your problem is which of the following?
A. poor security policies and procedures
B. lack of due diligence
C. downstream liability
D. poor service-level agreements
E. users have a lack of information security awareness
45. Individuals are finding it convenient and productive to use wireless devices for which of the following reasons?
A. To make use of time that was formerly wasted
B. To become more efficient
C. Work locations are more flexible
D. To be able to allocate working time around personal and professional obligations
E. All of the above
46. Of the following, which is the major problem with smart phones?
A. They are too slow.
B. They are too expensive.
C. They can be used to compromise security.
D. Their screens are too small.
E. Their browsers are not fully functional.
47. Which of the following statements about Wi-Fi is not correct?
A. Wi-Fi provides simple Internet access.
B. Laptop PC scan contain chips that can send and receive Wi-Fi signals.
C. Many companies offer free Wi-Fi access in their stores.
D. Wi-Fi requires encryption for secure transmissions.
E. Wi-Fi is expensive to set up.
48. This is a piece of data that is stored on the users computer by a company that the user accesses using a web browser?
C. Data-Link File
D. DLL File
E. Data file
49. This ethical theory states that managers are entrusted with a fiduciary responsibility to all those who hold a stake in or a claim on the firm .
A. Stockholder theory
B. Stakeholder theory
C. Property theory
D. Fiduciary theory
E. Normative theory
50. What information does a person or an organization have a right or a privilege to obtain, under what conditions and with what safeguards is part of this ethical issue?