W1 Discussion Mission Statement Analysis
Hello Class! For this discussion you can choose which question you respond to. Feel free to respond to both, however only one is required. Please respond to ONE of the following questions:
Tell us about yourself so you can meet and greet with other fellow Grantham University students within your course. Include what you believe to be your current knowledge level of this course topic and what you hope to learn before the course is over.
For this discussion activity, you will first need to research a company of your choice and locate the company's most current mission statement. Then, evaluate the mission statement. (Note: In order to evaluate the effectiveness of the chosen company's statement you will use the following criteria for evaluating a Mission Statement.)
Use the following questions to evaluate the selected mission statement.
Use a score of 1 point for each criteria/question that the mission statement meets.
1. Is our mission statement focused on satisfying customer needs rather than being focused on the product?
2. Does our mission statement tell who our customers are?
3. Does our mission statement explain what customer needs our company is trying to satisfy?
4. Does our mission statement explain how our company will serve its customers?
5. Does our mission statement fit the current market environment?
6. Is our mission statement based on our core competencies? (A core competency is a company strength.)
7. Is our mission statement motivating and does it inspire employee commitment?
8. Is our mission statement realistic?
9. Is our mission statement specific, short, sharply focused and memorable.
10. Is our mission statement clear and easily understood?
11. Does our mission statement say what we want to be remembered for?
Once you have completed the evaluation of the missing statement, address the following questions in the Discussion forum:
• How many points would the mission statement earn? What is the significance of the score in relation to how well the company's is currently operating?
• Are all of the questions equally important? Should some be dropped and others added? Why?
• Why is it important to conduct a "quantitative" analysis" vs. "gut feeling"? How could that impact your final result and strategy development?
Be sure to post the chosen company "Name", Mission Statement, Results of Evaluation, and Responses to the Closing questions in your discussion/response.
Mission Statement: http://globalassets.starbucks.com/assets/233b9b746b384f8ca57882614f6cebdb.pdf
(Note: After looking at many company websites, I