Ashford 6: - Week 5 - Final Paper
The purpose of the Final Paper is to apply your understanding of industrial/organizational psychology to a specific job and organization. This paper should be an objective analysis of a specific job in a particular work organization. It may be a place that you or a friend or family member is currently working.
Your paper should be based on material from the class and the textbook. You are expected to write an eight- to ten-page paper (not counting title and reference pages) that integrates relevant topics and theories from industrial/organizational psychology. Utilize a minimum of three scholarly, peer-reviewed sources document in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Be sure to address the following discussion points in your paper:
- Describe the organization as a whole and a specific job within this organization. Is there a formal job description? Include a complete job description (if available) as an appendix. Does this organization use a formal job analysis? If so, describe it.
- Explain how employees are recruited and selected by the organization. Do they use tests, interviews or application blanks? If there is a standard application, include a copy with your paper as an appendix). Is there a formal job evaluation that determines the appropriate pay levels for different jobs and employees?
- Explain the criteria that are used to appraise employee performance. How are employees appraised? How often are they evaluated and by whom?
- Discuss the kinds of training/development which are a part of this job. How effective is the training?
- Describe some of the specific stressors in this job and the company’s communication process.
- Discuss how the organization or your specific supervisor motivates his/her employees. What motivation theory best seems to apply? Identify the leadership approach or theory which best explains this organization and discuss how it is applied.
- Describe some of the various groups that exist in your workplace. What factors affect group performance in your job? Use at least one theory in your analysis of this setting.
- Describe changes you would suggest for improving this job and/or organization.
Writing the Final Paper
The Final Paper:
- Must be eight to ten double-spaced pages in length, and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
- Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
- Must use a minimum of three scholarly, peer-reviewed sources published within the last five years (not including the course text).
- Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate reference page, formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.
Industrial/Organizational Psychology plays in important role in the workplace. It detects human behaviors and matches them accordingly to the workplace or job description. According to the text, I/O psychology can be defined as the scientific study of the workplace. In I/O psychology, methods of psychology are rigorously applied to issues of critical relevance to business, including talent management, coaching, assessment, selection, training, organizational development, performance, and work-life balance. In other words, I/O psychology is a branch of psychology that uses methods, facts, and principles of psychology to enhance employee productivity Youssef, C. and Noon, A. (2012). This paper outlines a brief history of the hotel and spa at the Windsor Court