Using the various concepts described in the text, chapters 3, 7, 8, 9, 14,
and 17 analyze the use of the following by various companies to describe which
operations management principle, concept, or technique may be guiding the design
of the process and what the exact benefit is. Several Web sites are provided to
be of assistance to supplement the text:
- A closed track race car pit crew can change tires, fill the gas tank, adjust
the suspension, do minor body work, and tune the engine in 17 seconds; however,
it can take up to 3 days for the same work to be done at a local garage or auto
- Large passenger jets preload luggage into large aluminum containers that
are put onto the plane, whereas smaller planes get loaded one bag at a time.
- Please use the same links as listed in question 1.
- Hint: Think about when an airline is making money and when its planes are on
the ground or in the air.
- To avoid the obsolete inventory inherent with manufacturing fashion goods,
like women’s sweaters, a sweater manufacturer did not add color to the sweaters
produced until real orders were in hand, as compared to making them based on a
- A large insurance company, which normally takes 3 weeks to handle home
casualty claims, sends an RV down to a hurricane site with a small group of
people and is able to process claims in 30 minutes.
- APA 6.0 required
- References required also