Part A: Answer each of the following questions in 150-200 words.
1. What did beliefs about God and Satan have to do with the witch crazes of the seven-teenth century, one of which was the Salem Witch Trials? What changed to bring about an end to witch trials all over the word?
2. Explain the underlying purpose of the World’s Fairs. What did they seek to show about technology and world progress? How did the 1939 New York World’s Fair differ from its predecessors in achieving this goal? What did the 1939 New York World’s Fair show that contrasted with earlier fairs?
Part B: Answer each of the following questions in a few sentences.
1. What problems with rubber had to be overcome before it could be widely used? Whose inventions helped to overcome these problems?
2. In what way could African slaves maintain a degree of control over their situations as slaves and their being forced to live a foreign culture?
3. Why would the printing press have contributed so heavily to ending the Reign of Secrecy? What other effects did the printing press have during this period?
4. Why was employment as domestic servants highly satisfactory for Irish immigrants to the United States in the 1840s and 1850s?
5. Explain the term proto-industrialization.
6. What were the three historical factors in the twentieth century contributing to the world’s loss of confidence in the West, and why did they result in a loss of confidence in Western systems and values?