Assignment 1: Observation and Analysis of Local Business
Due Week 10 and worth 200 points
Please select and observe a small business in your area. Please do not use a chain or franchise. You should observe the business in person. If you wish, you can also speak to the manager or owner if they are available. Based on your observation, answer the following questions in a 4-5 page paper:
- Identify the business name, location, and hours and days of operation.
- Describe its products and/or services. Describe their store and storefront. What image are they portraying to the customers?
- Give examples of the type of marketing that this business uses to promote their business and describe why they chose these methods.
- Identify their customer. Describe their target market and their secondary market. (These two groups should be a very specific and clearly defined. Do not feel like you are excluding anyone. You are just defining who they are focusing their marketing activities on.)
- Identify two competitors and describe how this business differentiates itself from them.
- Does the business have a competitive advantage? Explain why or why not.
- In your opinion, what challenges does this business face in the near future? Explain your reasoning.
- If this were your business, what would you do differently? Focus on things we discussed throughout the class such as marketing activities, interactions with customers, public relations, image of the brand, social media, etc. Explain your response.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
Be typed, double-spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format.
Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length. Include a introduction and conclusion paragraph to create a concise and coherent presentation of your ideas.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Identify the key concepts of marketing and its function in society.
- Explain the fundamentals of marketing including product, price, distribution, and promotion in a global environment.
- Understand customer relationship management.
- Determine the factors affecting the behavior of consumers and commercial / organizational buyers.
- Understand the key elements of business marketing including product, price, distribution, and promotion.
- Write clearly and concisely about marketing using proper writing mechanics.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic / organization of the paper, and language and writing skills.