JFT2 Organizational Management Task 1
SUBDOMAIN 325.1 – LEADING & MANAGING INDIVIDUALS
SUBDOMAIN 325.3 – SOLVING PROBLEMS & MAKING DECISIONS
Competency 325.1.1: Motivation - The graduate applies motivational concepts to enhance organizational performance.
Competency 325.1.3: Power and Influence - The graduate determines how power and influence can be used to achieve organizational objectives.
Competency 325.3.2: Conflict Management - The graduate demonstrates the application of conflict management concepts to improve organizational performance.
In this task, you will review and comment on the various human interactions, cultural and organizational, that come into play during the merger process in the “Utah Symphony and Utah Opera: A Merger Proposal” case study. You will explore the motivations of the various constituents to better understand their positions for or against the merger. In this task, you will create a document to help Anne Ewers think through issues that may result from the merger process.
A. Create an analysis document (suggested length of 3–5 pages) in which you do the following:
1. Illustrate how Bill Bailey, chairman of the board of the Utah Opera Organization, might use one theory of motivation to oppose or support the merger.
2. Illustrate how Scott Parker, chairman of the board of the Utah Symphony Organization, might use one theory of motivation to convince Mrs. Abravanel to support the merger.
3. Describe Anne’s positional power in relation to her personal power.
a. Discuss how Anne could use her positional power to successfully lead the merger efforts.
b. Discuss how Anne could use her personal power to empower Keith Lockhart.
4. Present a potential issue with the musicians that, if not resolved, would jeopardize the continuing organizational performance.
a. Recommend how Anne could deal with the issue.
5. Discuss influence tactics Anne could use to persuade the opera’s full-time staff and artists under contract to endorse the merger.
B. If you use sources, include all in-text citations and references in APA format.
JFT2 Organizational Management Task 2
RJFT Task 2
JFT2 Organizational Management Task 3
325.1 – LEADING & MANAGING INDIVIDUALS
325.3 – SOLVING PROBLEMS & MAKING DECISIONS
325.4 – COMMUNICATING EFFECTIVELY IN ORGANIZATIONS
327.1 – CREATING & MANAGING CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIPS
328.1 – DEVELOPING AN ENTREPRENEURIAL ENTERPRISE
329.2 – EXECUTING ORGANIZATIONAL STRATEGY
329.5 – USING INFORMATION SYSTEMS FOR COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE
325.1.6: Organizational Effectiveness – The graduate analyzes the impact of organizational culture, stress, and structural design on the effectiveness of the organization.
325.3.1: Leading Change - The graduate describes the organizational change process and recommends strategies for implementing a change.
325.4.3: Multicultural Communication – The graduate recognizes cultural differences in communication and develops strategies and techniques to effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders.
327.1.3: Customer Satisfaction and Customer Relationship Management – The graduate evaluates a firm’s customer relationship management practices and designs processes for maximizing customer satisfaction and loyalty.
328.1.1: Innovation—New Methods and Processes – The graduate selects new methodologies of doing things that will enhance efficiency and effectiveness, e.g., enhanced utilization of technology, process improvements, and innovation.
329.2.2: Corporate Culture – The graduate demonstrates knowledge of key concepts in managing corporate culture to achieve management purposes.
329.5.1: Strategy and Information Technology Systems – The graduate identifies strategic considerations for selecting and using information technology systems and tools.
In this task, you will develop a presentation with recommendations to the combined board of directors on key aspects of the merger process in “Utah Symphony and Utah Opera: A Merger Proposal” case study. The presentation will encompass the coming year’s strategic goals, assuming the merger happens.
The strategic goals for the first year include the following:
• Integrate the business process of the two companies
• Reduce overall expenses as a percentage of profit
• Retain key employees
• Maintain audience base for both the opera and the symphony
• Identify and pursue synergistic opportunities between the two companies
Prepare a multimedia presentation (e.g., PowerPoint, Keynote) (suggested length of 12–15 slides) in which you do the following:
Note: The slides in your presentation should include only the main points you wish to make, with more extensive information included in the presenter notes section of the presentation. Include slides that explain the objective of the presentation and lead the audience to the desired conclusion.
A. Compare the cultures of the two companies using the relevant values in the attached “Competing Values Framework.”
Note: It is not necessary to address each value individually. Rather, use the relevant values from the framework to draw a contrast between the two companies.
1. Compare how the organizational structure of each company differs in terms of distribution of authority and decision making.
2. Discuss what key factors will be critical in the new company’s culture to best ensure it supports the first-year strategic goals.
B. Propose an audience strategy for Anne Ewers to use when preparing to speak with the opera contractors and orchestra employees.
1. Prepare a message strategy for Anne to use to best ensure key members of the opera contractors and the orchestra employees are retained.
C. Recommend two technology tools that can be used after the merger to help the companies merge their administrative technology applications.
1. Map the implementation of these tools to the company’s strategic goals.
D. Include presenter notes for each slide.
Note: Presenter notes may be included either in the notes section of your presentation or may be in a word-processing document.
E. If you use sources, include all in-text citations and references in APA format.